Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-snmpconf-pm-14.txt

Diffs:

The -14 draft of the PM MIB was published. The changes are in two main categories:

1. Fixes to issues brought up by Bert's AD-Review:

  - Updated references
  - Cleaned up instructions on how credential delegation works including
    adding usage examples
  - Changed name of UTF8String TC to PmUTF8String to avoid conflicts
  - Added warning text to tables where combinations of indexes could
    result in instance names longer than 128 subids.
  - Expanded security considerations section with information about
    specifically which objects may have security concerns when written.
  - Added an IANA considerations section

2. Patrik Falstrom did a review of the document to ensure that the
document was consistent with regards to internationalization.  Patrik
had a few concerns that things *weren't* consistent which basicly
boiled down to the fact that while 'Strings' are defined to be UTF-8,
comparison operations on them treat them as 8-bit characters even if
they happen to contain multi-byte characters. We agreed the best
remedy to this would be not to pretend that Strings (and operations on
Strings) are UTF-8, but to define them as sequences of octets and then
create an International String function library that contains
functions that manipulate Strings that may contain multi-byte
characters.

The full set of changes were:

  - Define String as a sequence of octets and make sure all existing
    functions are defined correctly for single-byte ascii characters
  - Create a function library for International Strings that contains
    Stringprep and other functions for multi-byte characters. (See this
    function library for the details)
  - Updated the stringprep profile to perform normalization

Thanks to Bert and Patrik for the very thorough reviews!

Steve