RE: snmpconf Normaformational references

Inline

A lot of these references are all to the old DS SNMPv3 RFCs.
We have a new range RFC341x. If you do not change them now,
we will see delay later in the RFC-Editor queue when they do
want to update them to the current RFCs that have obsoleted
the ones you list.

If you use the new boiler plate (I did send a copy to you),
then maybe you do not need to use as many references.

More inline

Thanks,
Bert

For STDs track documents, you cannot have normative refs to docs that
are lower on the stds track. So you would normally not have a normative
reference to an informational RFC. There are exceptions.

> Normative:
>
> [1]  Harrington, D., Presuhn, R., and B. Wijnen, "An Architecture for
>       Describing SNMP Management Frameworks", RFC 2571, April 1999.
>
> [2]  Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Structure and Identification of Man-
>       agement Information for TCP/IP-based Internets", STD 16, RFC 1155,
>       May 1990.
>
> [3]  Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Concise MIB Definitions",  STD 16, RFC
>       1212, March 1991.
>
> [4]  Rose, M., "A Convention for Defining Traps for use with the SNMP",
>       RFC 1215, March 1991.
>
> [5]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case,  J., Rose, M.,
>       and S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management Information Version 2
>       (SMIv2)", STD 58, RFC 2578, April 1999.
>
> [6]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case,  J., Rose, M.,
>       and S. Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for SMIv2", STD 58, RFC
>       2579, April 1999.
>
> [7]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case,  J., Rose, M.,
>       and S. Waldbusser, "Conformance Statements for SMIv2",  STD 58, RFC
>       2580, April 1999.
>
> [8]  Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin,  "Simple Network
>       Management Protocol", STD 15, RFC 1157, May 1990.
>
> [9]  Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Introduc-
>       tion to Community-based SNMPv2", RFC 1901, January 1996.
>
> [10] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Transport
>       Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
>       (SNMPv2)", RFC 1906, January 1996.
>
> [11] Case, J., Harrington D., Presuhn R., and B. Wijnen, "Message Pro-
>       cessing and Dispatching for the Simple Network Management Protocol
>       (SNMP)", RFC 2572, April 1999.
>
> [12] Blumenthal, U., and B. Wijnen, "User-based Security Model (USM) for
>       version 3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3)", RFC
>       2574, April 1999.
>
> [13] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Protocol
>       Operations for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
>       (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, January 1996.
>
> [14] Levi, D., Meyer, P., and B. Stewart, "SNMPv3 Applications", RFC
>       2573, April 1999.
>
> [15] Wijnen, B., Presuhn, R., and K. McCloghrie, "View-based Access Con-
>       trol Model (VACM) for the Simple Network Management Protocol
>       (SNMP)", RFC 2575, April 1999.
>
> [16] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Management
>       Information Base for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management
>       Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1907, January 1996.
>
> [18] Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart, "Introduction to
>       Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network Management Framework",
>       RFC 2570, April 1999.

I think I would make the above (2570, or better 3410) an Informative ref

> [44] McCloghrie, k., "SNMPv2 Management Information Base for the Inter-
>       net Protocol using SMIv2", RFC 2011, November 1996.
>
> Informational:
>

> [17] McCloghrie, K., and Kastenholz, F., "The Interfaces Group MIB", RFC
>       2863, June 2000.
>
> [19] Brown, C., and F. Baker, "Management Information Base for Frame
>       Relay DTEs Using SMIv2", RFC 2115, September 1997.
>
> [20] Baker, F, "Requirements for IP Version 4 Routers", RFC 1812, June
>       1995.
>
> [21] Hawkinson, J., and T. Bates, "Guidelines for Creation, Selection,
>       and Registration of an Autonomous System (AS)", RFC 1930, March
>       1996.
>
> [22] Decker, E., Langille, P., Rijsinghani, A., and K. McCloghrie, "Def-
>       initions of Managed Objects for Bridges", RFC 1493, July 1993.
>
> [23] Levi, D., and J. Schoenwaelder "Definitions of Managed Objects for
>       Scheduling Management Operations", RFC 2591, May 1999.
>
> [24] Bell, E., Smith, A., Langille, P., Rijsinghani, A., and K.
>       McCloghrie, "Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges with Traf-
>       fic Classes, Multicast Filtering and Virtual LAN Extensions, RFC
>       2674, August 1999.
>
> [25] Baker, F., "IP Forwarding Table MIB", RFC 2096, January 1997.
>
> [26] St. Johns, M., "Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management Informa-
>       tion Base for MCNS/DOCSIS compliant RF interfaces", RFC 2670,
>       August 1999.
>
> [27] Baker, F., and R. Coltun, "OSPF Version 2 Management Information
>       Base", RFC 1850, November 1995.
>
> [28] Blake, S. Black, D.,  Carlson M., Davies E. Wang Z., Weiss W., "An
>       Architecture for Differentiated Services ", RFC 2475, December
>       1998.
>
> [29] Willis, S. and J. Chu., "Definitions of Managed Objects for the
>       Fourth Version of the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP-4) using SMIv2",
>       RFC 1657, July 1994.
>
> [30] Waldbusser, S."Remote Network Monitoring Management Information
>       Base", RFC 2819, May 2000.
>
> [31] McCloghrie, K., and Hanson, G., "The Inverted Stack Table Extension
>       to the Interfaces Group MIB", RFC 2863, June 2000.
>
> [32] McCloghrie, K. and Bierman, A., "Entity MIB (Version 2)", RFC 2737,
>       December, 1999.
>
> [33] ITU-T,, Recommendation M.3010., PRINCIPLES FOR A TELECOMMUNICATIONS
>       MANAGEMENT NETWORK.  February, 2000.
>
> [34] Waldbusser, S., Saperia, J., and Hongal, T., "Policy Based Manage-
>       ment MIB", Work-in-progress.
>
> [35] Heintz, L., "SNMP Row Operations Extensions", Work-in-progress.

This one is dead now... do you still want to reference it?

> [36] Zeltserman, D., "A Practical Guide to Snmpv3 and Network Manage-
>       ment", Prentice Hall, 1999.
>
> [37] Noto, M., Spiegel, E., and Tesink, K., "Definitions of Textual Con-
>       ventions and OBJECT-IDENTITIES for ATM Management", RFC 2514,
>       February, 1999.
>
> [38] Kassaveri, R., and Stewart, B., "Distributed Management Expression
>       MIB", RFC 2982, October, 2000.
>
> [39] Daniele, M., Haberman, B., Routhier, S., and Schoenwaelder, J.,
>       "Textual Conventions for Internet Network Addresses", RFC 2851,
>       June 2000.
>
> [40] St. Johns, M.,  "DOCSIS Cable Device MIB Cable Device Management
>       Information Base for DOCSIS compliant Cable Modems and
> Cable Modem
>       Termination Systems", RFC 2669, August, 1999.
>
> [41] Westerinen, A., Schnizlein, J., Strassner, J., Scherling, M.,
>       Quinn, B., Herzog, S., Huynh, A., Carlson, M., Perry,
> J., and Wald-
>       busser, S., "Terminology for Policy-Based Management", work-in-
>       progress, July, 2001.
>          **note from Wayne: I think this has a RFC number now**
>
> [42] http://wwww.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/product/software/ios113ed/
>       11ed_cr/secur_c/scprt/scacls.pdf.
>
> [43] Waldbusser, S., "Remote Network Monitoring Management Information
>       Base Version 2 using SMIv2", RFC 2021, January 1997.
>
> Regards,
> Wayne

Bert