----
Jon Saperia

saperia@jdscons.com
Phone: 617-744-1079
Fax:   617-249-0874
http://www.jdscons.com
Reporting-MTA: dns; mx03.gis.net

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Randy Bush wrote:

> why would cops/pibs be significantly better (remember it has to replace
> my current investment, so it can not be 'just as good') than snmp/mibs?
>
> randy

Randy you may recall discussions on this topic several years ago and the
internet drafts published by various parties about the merits of a COPS versus
SNMP approach.  I co-authored one of those now expired drafts with Juergen.
Time and events have overtaken some of the material in the draft but here is a
URL to a site that has a post script version of the original ID that discusses
your questions.

http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/vs/papers/policy-tr-00-02.ps.gz

Since publication of those early drafts, SNMPCONF has incorportated some of the
changes suggested and the COPS folks have made improvements in that approach as
well.

I suspect part of what you have to figure out in the context of your question
is: Is there an advantage that remains with a PIB approach, and if there is one
does it ofset the balance of the cost you point to. The data in the document
may be helpful. Further a read of the current SNMPCONF documents on the WG web
site may be helpful.

Even though there is probably duplication is the mail lists, I have copied the
SNMPCONF WG on this since it is relevant to the work that is taking place there.

/jon
 ---- Jon Saperia

saperia@jdscons.com
Phone: 617-744-1079