Re: Andy's review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-pm-09.txt

[I will re-read Andy's comments, but I noted a couple of patterns and I
think that addressing the reasons for the patterns may help.]

1) A number of the comments about document structure, insufficient
information, and other "errors" appear to arise from a single cause.  In
our efforts not to mandate a single implementation strategy, we seem to
have forgotten to give the reader enough information to actually do the
implementation.  I overlooked this (and presumably so did the authors)
because by this time in the process I have lots of assumptions in my
head.  However, given how frustrating it is when I have to work with other
under-specified RFCs, I think that we need to look at putting a lot more
descriptions of possible implementations into the document.

2) Andy comments repeatedly about strings appearing in places where they
"are not allowed".  It appears that Andy missed (and therefore we need to
emphasis better) the fact that these strings are supposed to be processed
on the front end.  The fact that we are not mandating a front end, but are
describing all our examples as if there is a smart front end does produce a
tension (rather like the on in (1) above) that should be addressed.  I
actually muchly prefer the use of the text strings, as if the examples used
explicit numeric OIDs I would have no idea what the examples were doing.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern