Re: Review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-07

At 07:23 AM 1/15/2003, you wrote:
>I have made extensive use of SNMP to configure routers; in
>fact, I've known it be the standard way of doing it once the
>initial IP/SNMP support is configured into the router.  This
>is in a high availability, high security environment, using
>vendor-provided tools and (of course) vendor proprietary
>MIB.

Are you using SNMPv3? How do you manage keys?
How do you control which administrators can write which variables?
Could you please identify the router and vendor-provided tools?

>But I am talking Enterprise, not Operator, which is why I
>stayed quiet at Salt Lake City.

Whoever operates the network is what matters, not whether it is
a commercial service provider or within an enterprise.

>Tom Petch, Network Consultant
>nwnetworks@dial.pipex.com

John