Re: Review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-07

At 04:17 PM 1/14/2002 -0500, John Schnizlein wrote:

>Please forgive me if it is just my inability to see equivalence.
>Just because features are included in products, and used somewhere,
>does not make them practices, much less best practices.
>There are some QoS features in older versions of IOS I would not
>recommend. ;-) I was told somebody asked for them.

John:

I'm not sure if you're trying to be facetious, but I think at this point
your assertion that there are no applications of doing configuration and
activation using SNMP, no applications that one can interpret a set of best
practices for (to perhaps facilitate even more and better and more scalable
etc. usage going further) have been pretty well shot down.

I was going to add one more--MPLS optical switches which do LSP setup and
traffic engineering over LSPs using SNMP-created rows.  Early adopters have
done this around in-progress versions of the MIBs currently under IESG
review.  I know of one vendor (Tenor Networks) that uses that as a selling
point for their management strategy.  The BCP has looked at design
techniques for the kind of MIBs these devices are shipping and identified
the most scalable desig...well, you've read the document, you know what
it's about.  If these MIBs are *shipping and in deployment now*, how can
you claim that guidance on MIB design for their ilk doesn't address a
*current practice*?

Regards,
Wayne