Re: Review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-07

On Monday 14 January 2002 04:17 pm, John Schnizlein wrote:
> At 04:00 PM 1/14/2002, Jon Saperia <saperia> wrote:
> >On Monday 14 January 2002 03:47 pm, John Schnizlein wrote:
> >> Can you name the operator of a network who would say that
> >> they configure their network through SNMP?
> >
> >I have provided examples of products that have SNMP configurability
> >for their major operational compoents, are shipping and in use.
>
> Please forgive me if it is just my inability to see equivalence.
> Just because features are included in products, and used somewhere,
> does not make them practices, much less best practices.
> There are some QoS features in older versions of IOS I would not
> recommend. ;-) I was told somebody asked for them.
>
> John

What we are talking about are practices for use of SNMP in a configuration
management context. What is in the document are approaches that have been
found to work when want wants to do configuration management with SNMP. So
while one may or may not like SNMP in general, or for configuration in
particular, the document is only about practices that have been found
helpful when one wants to use SNMP for configuration. Nothing more. As
such I believe it meets the requirements for BCP as I read RFC2026.

If you believe it does not, please cite why and the text in context from
2026 that shows that this document would be inappropriately called a BCP.

Jon Saperia

saperia@jdscons.com
Phone: 617-744-1079
Fax:   617-249-0874