Re: Review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-07

HI,

I want to clarify a misperception that is in John's message...

At 02:43 PM 1/14/2002 -0500, john wrote:
>I know even less about RMON probes, but since RMON is a creature of
>SNMP, its configuration through SNMP would constitute configuring SNMP
>features through SNMP, not configuring the network through SNMP.
RMON is not a creature of SNMP. (There was a lot of marketing
several years back trying to make such a claim.) RMON probes
are devices that monitor network traffic (and capture packets),
and allow management applications to get the statistics on the
traffic. Such devices could be created that used proprietary
protocols for configuring them and for retrieving stats and packets.
Remote monitoring probes existed before SNMP was used to
manage them.

Regards,
/david t. perkins