Re: Review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-07

On Monday 14 January 2002 03:47 pm, John Schnizlein wrote:
> I hope "to tweak endless number of configuration bits" is not
> being put forward as best practice for network configuration.

The Best Current Practices document we have written has a focus on SNMP,
thus the title Configuring Networks and Devices With SNMP. It does not
claim to be the final best approach for configuration of networks. I think
we are a long way from there. It does offer good approaches for
configuration when one uses SNMP.

> The existence of a (small fraction) of R/W MIB variables is not a very
> compelling argument for the "best practice" claim. Can you name the
> operator of a network who would say that they configure their network
> through SNMP?

I have provided examples of products that have SNMP configurability for
their major operational compoents, are shipping and in use.

/jon

--
Jon Saperia

saperia@jdscons.com