Re: Review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-07

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 02:43:59PM -0500, John Schnizlein wrote:
>At 01:21 PM 1/14/2002, David T. Perkins wrote:
>
>>There are specific products and markets where configuration is done
>>via SNMP. For example, the interoperable way to configure RMON probes,
>>and cable modems across device vendors is to use SNMP.
>
>I don't claim to be an expert on cable modems. My understanding is
>that the usual operation of cable modems is as specified by DOCSIS.
>Admiting that I don't have the most current documentation, the
>August 29, 2001 Operations Support System Interface Specification
>(SP-OSSIv1.1-I04-010829) contains this on page 30:
>
>  During initialization, a CM communicates with a DHCP Server that
>  provides the CM with its assigned IP address and, in addition,
>  provides a pointer to the TFTP Server that stores the assigned
>  CM Config File for that CM. The CM reads the CM Config File and
>  forwards the set of Service Flow definitions (using SCNs) up to
>  the CMTS...

John,

Please keep reading.

SNMP is an application layer protocol
so SNMP can't do any initial device configuration.
Once a cable modem is up and running cable modems and cable modem head
ends are managed via SNMP to tweak and endless number of
configuration bits. See RFC 2669, 2670 or give Rich Woundy
at Cisco a call.

Most all other devices I listed behave the same way. The
low end devices often come with a preconfigure ip address:
Gee, what should it be? Hmm. Underlying hacks must then
be invented to figure out how to make such things simpler.

Regards,
Mike