Re: Fwd: Re: Review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-07

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:16:16AM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> Questioning the appropriateness of describing configuration through
>>> SNMP as Best Current Practice will not go away. The most basic reason
>>> for this is that it is not a current practice.
>> If you've been dealing only on core/distribution router networks and the
>> gear that serve that market I'd agree. However, the reality is that snmp
>> is used for configuration at the access/edge of service provider and
>> enterprise networks.
>
>by whom?  despite a year of looking, going to meetings on four continents,
>talking to enterprises and isps, ... we have not found this to be the case.

If you conducted an actual study in a scientific manner, I'd like to
see the data before the conclusion.

The list above does not include the specific customers I mentioned:
telcos (the atm part, not the isp part), cable modem,
layer 1/2 metro serivce providers.  Go ask these folks what gear
they use and how the manage it.

>as cisco and other do not even implement config via snmp, such broad
>statements do not see very supportable.

Cisco *does* support snmp config where there is a market requirement
or is legacy gear that already supports it as in the case of the
uBR (see Azlina Palmer) or the Catalyst 3k(kalpana)/5k(creshendo)
transparent bridge product lines (Cal Palmore).

>if they have a choice, they use cli, whether we like it or not.

I sympathise with your zeal for a smaller simpler to use/create
management interface. Really I do.

If customers have a choice of mgmt interfaces, they will
prefer/use any number of interfaces. Over the years I've been asked to
support in addition to SNMP:
HTTP, JavaBeans, TL1, XML, COPS, LDAP, a GUI craft interface
and configuration through an EMS.

I then explain the benefits of our product's CLI, such
as cmds are placed into scrachpad and activated at once,
difference between a active ram configuration and bootup
configuration, joys of editing acls with an online editor,
being able to diff and search configs while in config mode,
authentication with raduius/tacacs+, etc.

Truth be told, Customers will use whatever they understand
and whatever doesn't crash or impede the device.

Mike MacFaden