Re: Fwd: Re: Review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-07

>> Questioning the appropriateness of describing configuration through
>> SNMP as Best Current Practice will not go away. The most basic reason
>> for this is that it is not a current practice.
> If you've been dealing only on core/distribution router networks and the
> gear that serve that market I'd agree. However, the reality is that snmp
> is used for configuration at the access/edge of service provider and
> enterprise networks.

by whom?  despite a year of looking, going to meetings on four continents,
talking to enterprises and isps, ... we have not found this to be the case.

as cisco and other do not even implement config via snmp, such broad
statements do not see very supportable.

yes, various edge devices do config via snmp.  and if that is the only means
they provide, that's what folk are forced to use.  but you will find that,
if they have a choice, they use cli, whether we like it or not.  for what
happens in the market, remember cascade.

randy