Re: Review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-07

HI,

There are specific products and markets where configuration is done
via SNMP. For example, the interoperable way to configure RMON probes,
and cable modems across device vendors is to use SNMP. There way also
be other examples in specific areas.

Let me go out on a limb here...
Where there is a standard way to perform configuration that works
across products from different vendors, SNMP is probably the mechanism
that is being used. Creating a standard approach is more time consuming
and expensive for early device vendors (than creating proprietary
mechanisms). (And it can be much cheaper for follow-on device vendors).
Creating multiple standards (one for each technology area) for use in
a modern router (where there is some amount of interaction) is
a quite difficult problem. For example, configuration of brand C routers
is based on creating access control lists (ACLs), which are used as
a selection mechanism in configuration of many different technologies.
Brand X router, may use a different model for a selection mechanism.
How is a set of configuration standards created that has
dependencies between standards and can be implemented by
different device vendors?

Moving even farther out on the limb...
It doesn't seem to me that it is the SNMP protocol, or SNMP's SMI,
but an immaturity and/or diversity of configuration models found
in modern routers from different device vendors. Creating another
protocol or data modeling language will probably not help.

If this is the case, then the area needs some really smart,
experienced, and motivated people with a shared goal to make
some progress. I'll be the first to support them. But I'm also
leery of sales agents of simple solutions or those that make
unsupported claims.

At 09:02 AM 1/14/2002 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
>> "We can't find anybody using SNMP to configure."
>
>and many vendors, including prominent ones, don't even implement writing of
>all the things which would be needed.
>
>> What are the "at least 4 implementations of systems that use SNMP as
>> a configuration method" mentioned in your reply below?
>
>as the 'p' in bcp stands for 'practice,' who are the USERS who use snmp as
>their configuration method?
>
>randy
Regards,
/david t. perkins