snmpconf Re: Your update to the BCP

At 10:03 AM 11/20/2001 -0800, David T. Perkins wrote:
>HI,
>
>Do you have a summary of changes?

It's pretty difficult to summarize, David.  While the document looks
superficially and at a top level the same, it's undergone a real rewrite
(hence the amount of time this has taken).

The entire document has been gone over with a fine tooth comb multiple
times, leading to almost every sentence undergoing changes, new sections
added, others removed (e.g., the config change deployment "state machine"
from -05 through -06 is gone since we couldn't make it work to our
satisfaction).  The overall organization remains roughly the same
(intro/mib module design/agent design/management app design/security
considerations/policy mention/sample template-policy MIB), but every
example has been adjusted for applicability, every sentence has been
scrutinized for flow, every mention of a concept has been analyzed for
proper introductory context, etc.  In some cases, we took pains to really
provide technical qualification of what we meant (good example--the issue
of inform "reliability" that was bothering you).

If you're looking for a roadmap that doesn't have you just staring from
section 1 with no pointers, I might refer you to your original .pdf with
commentary and notation that you posted.  I'd say between that and the
amplifications that Andy Bierman provided, 85-90% of the comments there
turned into discrete changes, some dramatic, in the presentation.

I thought about trying a diff, but it would have been voluminous and
meaningless.  The web site does have both versions formatted, so that you
can attempt one of your own if you'd like.

Hmmm...does that qualify as a summary at all? )

Regards,
Wayne