RE: BCP and Notifications (was: snmpconf FW: MIBs for events and notification logging)

Hi -

> From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
> To: snmpconf@snmp.com, "David T. Perkins" <dperkins@dsperkins.com>,
>         Jon Saperia <saperia@jdscons.com>
> Cc: Sharon Chisholm <schishol@nortelnetworks.com>,
>         Randy Presuhn <rpresuhn@dorothy.bmc.com>
> Subject: RE: BCP and Notifications (was: snmpconf FW: MIBs for events and
> 	notification logging)
> Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:43:42 +0100
> I think the possibly more important thing to focus on is that the
> sender of an INFORM mots probably gets a response when the
> notification has arrived at the destination. If not, then
> it can decide to retry a few times, and finally it can decide
> to save the information for anothe retrt later or for
> a manager to pickup later.

This makes it possible to construct what in CMIP-land is
called a disseminator.  Think of it as a log in which
entries persist only until their delivery to their final
destination has been confirmed.  It really DOES give
reliable notification, even across reboots, if one needs
such a thing.

 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 randy_presuhn@bmc.com  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San Josť, California 95131  USA
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.