Re: snmpconf FW: MIBs for events and notification logging

I think Mike has a good point. We do talk about configuration change
notifications in the BCP. If desired we could add a word or two about
persistence. Mike is right about that potentially being more
controversial. In several designs and implementations I have worked on
we have built internal facilities into the managed device to deal with
this persistence/alarm problem.

We are still working on edits to the BCP. If anyone would
like to make a specific proposal that we can agree to on the WG list
over the next 5 days or so, we will be happy to include it.

/jon

> Bert,
>
> Persistence of config, while not a trival
> problem, is less controversial than saving
> fault/alarm state. Based on the
> charter, I focused on the former.
>
> I think we have some basic coverage
> of persistence / highlighted use of
> StorageType.
>

> One quip I heard from an circuit-head
> is the only difference between datacom gear
> adhering to IETF standards vs telco
> gear adhering to TMN standards is
> that that the latter has a "show alarms"
> state and an Alarm Cutoff (ACO).
>

> Regards,
> Mike

Jon Saperia		     saperia@jdscons.com