RE: snmpconf FW: MIBs for events and notification logging

HI,

Randy - I could create a replacement MIB definition for the
the LOG MIB and do a side by side comparison. However, that
is not how the IETF works. It is based on implementation
and not paper analysis. So, I'm offering to prepare an
implementation report if vendors or users will provide me
with the name of the version of the software and hardware that
implements the LOG MIB. I have access to some equipment,
but not all. So for the equipment/software that I don't
have access, I may need to have some assistance.

By the way, the LOG MIB was designed to be used in two very
different environments - a mid-level manager and a "simple"
SNMP-managed device. Would like to get information on both
types of implementations.

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Randy Presuhn wrote:
> Hi -

> > From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
> > To: snmpconf@snmp.com
> > Subject: RE: snmpconf FW: MIBs for events and notification logging
> > Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:47:22 +0200
> >
> > The idea of my email was more to stimulate the WG
> > to try and address the issue of persistence of
> > configuration data and event data.
> >
> > If the MIB that is out of the DISMAN WG is no good,
> > then that topic should be discussed in the DISMAN WG.
> >
> > Or so I think.
>
> I would think so, too, but I'd be happy just to find out
> what these problems are.  There have been multiple requests,
> both on the disman list and in person, for folks to identify
> any specific problems.  So far, we know that there is one
> redundant object in the Log MIB.  There has been discussion
> about whether different index structures might provide better
> retrieval performance.
>
> So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record: if you
> have technical issues with RFC 3014, please bring them
> to the disman WG mailing list.  Meaningful input and
> specific proposals are welcome.

Regards,
/david t. perkins