RE: snmpconf FW: MIBs for events and notification logging

Title: RE: snmpconf FW: MIBs for events and notification logging

Hi,

I think it would be important to discuss the use of local mid-level managers as potential keepers of the notification logs so neither the agent nor a centralized manager be burdened by the storage of the notification log.

In addition, it might be nice to mention that using a specialized proxy application at the MLM one could permit v1-only agents to send (unreliable) traps to the MLM, which could then forward the trap to a centralized manager using v3 informs to verify receipt of the trap, and to subsequently delete the notification from the MLM log. This would eliminate log storage for traps where delivery was known to be successful. Repetitive sending of traps by the v1 agent (who doesn't know delivery was successful) could be filtered by the MLM to reduce unnecessary trap resends.

dbh