snmpconf FW: MIBs for events and notification logging

FYI and possible actions

Bert

-----Original Message-----
From: Wijnen, Bert (Bert) [mailto:bwijnen@lucent.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 7:15 PM
To: IESG
Subject: MIBs for events and notification logging

All, while discussing the frnetmib documnet, we talked about
how to handle data (events) that should be persistent.

In general, managed devices do not keep such persistent
information. Instead, they send notifications, that is
traps or informed (if enabled by configuration), to one
or more management stations. The management stations/apps
would keep the data in a persistent database. Also, managers
will poll devices to obtain status/usage info and save that
in a persistent database.

Events/notifications may not be delivered to a manager
if there are network problems. In that case, usage of the
event mib (RFC2981) or the notification log mib (RFC3014)
can keep such data at a managed device for a while.

Does this explain enough?

I will post to SNMPCONF WG to stimulate that they include
something in the SNMP BCP that they are working on

Bert