Re: snmpconf Comments on the BCP

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 01:19:52PM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
>At 03:18 PM 9/28/2001 -0700, David T. Perkins wrote:
> Section 4.5 is not really true.  The order of the varbinds
>in the PDU is not important to agents.

This BCP is pretty short so I'll enclose it here:

  4.5.  Order of varbinds in a SET PDU

  When a given SET PDU contains multiple varbinds, agents conforming to
  the SNMP should be able to process the varbinds in any given order.

  In practice, it is often preferable that management applications send
  the varbinds in the order they are defined in the MIB module.

My experience writing mgmt apps w/sets against various
SNMP agents has been just the opposite.

If requested, I will post evidence to show various
products that don't support out of order varbinds.

Regards,
Mike