snmpconf BCP/Taxonomy: Plan of action

I referred yesterday in my mail to the notion of an emerging "consensus" as
to what we are going to do regarding the policy-config-taxonomy discussion
in the current BCP (aka section 7.2), with some of the confusion and
concerns that have been expressed.

Jon sent out a note yesterday indicating some of our ultimate plan of
attack, but we've been somewhat emboldened in proposing a quick multistage
approach with the mail (and subsequent offlist followup) we've been making
with Bob Moore.

Soooo...if it's acceptable to you, the authors of
draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-05.txt are going to try the following things in
preference order, to see which one "hits" the best with the group:

a) Jon and I have been forging a new set of per-layer attributes which we
feel/hope addresses the need for instance-specific attribute notations to
permeate the entire taxnomomy.  Frankly, we're trying to simplify it in the
sense of not "multidimensionalizing" the entire reference model.  We'd like
to, in ones sense, go beyond what Steve {W} has been advancing wherein he
propses a single extra segmentation based on instance-specificity (without
needing multdimensionalizing nevertheless).  Without getting into this too
much, I'll be posting the idea of this later today (I hope), tomorrow if not.

b) This is not necessarily mutually exclusive of (a).  Bob Moore coined my
favorite phrase of the day: "scope of applicability".  I sent a post to the
list last night indicating that yes, in fact this does loosely describe
some of the characteristics that have affected the usage model I have (and,
I believe Jon as well) for the taxonomy.  In rereading the section in the
BCP (and its preceding context in 7.1), the confusion and outrage :) on the
part of Steve {W} and others here is increasingly understandable--that we
are confining this to the information model involved, and its doesn't work
as a taxonomy with that primary purpose in its current form.  HENCE, our
action item if we get here is to *really* work on clarifying the text here
to define WHAT we're trying to get at, what we AREN'T trying to get at
primarily, and what we WON'T be effectively covering at all with the
taxonomy.  In many ways, this may be the least contentious step to take
next, but as Jon and I have been using a lot of intra-LATA phone minutes
discussing what lies behind (a) above in the last week , I'd like to
advance it just for review if nothing else.

c) as Jon indicated in a post to the group yesterday, if we can't find
rough consensus in the preceding two steps, we're prepared to remove the
discussion from the bcp altogether.  I'd hope the group would give us the
opportunity for an honest attempts at (a) and (b) first however.

Regards,
Wayne

--------

Wayne F. Tackabury              Internet: wayne@goldwiretech.com
Gold Wire Technology            Phone: (781) 398-8819
411 Waverley Oaks Rd., Ste 304
Waltham, MA  02452             Cell: (617) 699-6156