Re: snmpconf BCP re: policy layering

Wayne and others,

While it's certainly a reasonable interpretation, and
operationally the only one you can make, in this case
silence on my part did not equal assent.  Instead, it
represented focusing on getting my own two Policy
drafts out by the deadline.

I don't know if it will advance the discussion or not,
but after this round of notes, I'm looking at the issue
in a slightly different light.  Before, I found myself
totally agreeing with Steve W.: *of course* class-level
information, of whatever level of abstraction and
standardization, is orthogonal to instance-level
information.  Now, though, it appears to me that we've
been talking about two very different things in
discussing the taxonomy.

To come at this in a roundabout way, I'll start with an
example from my SNA days.  (I'm sure there's something
equivalent in the IP world - I'm just not as familiar
with it.)  For a number of SNA configuration parameters,
it's possible to have node-level defaults, with port-
level overrides, and then link-level overrides of
either the node-level or port-level values.  Using some
convenient numbers, suppose we have an SNA node with
16 ports, where each port supports 4 links.  Now suppose
you have the following link configuration parameters
specified for a node:

   Node defaults:         C1
   Port-1 overrides:      C2
   Link-1.1 overrides:    C3
   Link-1.2 overrides:    C4
   Link-2.1 overrides:    C5
   Link-3.1 overrides:    C5,

where the links are identified as Link-<portNumber>.n.

Now, one way of looking at instances is that this node
has 64 link instances, with the following configurations:

    1 with C3 (Link-1.1)
    1 with C4 (Link-1.2)
    2 with C2 (Link-1.3 and Link 1.4)
    2 with C5 (Link-2.1 and Link 3.1)
   58 with C1 (all the rest)
 ____
   64 in all, which is what you *had* to have, because
there are 64 links in the box.  This is how Steve W. is
looking at the instances.

The other way of looking at instances is in terms of the
configuration (we might say Policy now) specifications:
node-level versus port-level versus *instance*-level.
In this case there are 4 instance-level specifications,
along with two higher-level ones.  This isn't quite
Jon's taxonomy, where it's levels of abstraction rather
than scope of applicability that work their way down,
in one dimension, to the instance level.  But I wonder
if there's been some element of this case that has bled
over into Jon's taxonomy?

When I started writing this, I wasn't sure where I was
going to come out.  It appears that I've come out
arguing for Steve W.'s two-dimensional taxonomy after
all, on the basis that Jon's version derives from a
confusion between two different one-dimensional
progressions: narrowing scope versus narrowing
abstraction.

Now, did any of this make any sense, and did it help?
I'm pretty sure I've gotten Steve W.'s version right.
But I'm not at all sure that I've captured what Jon
was saying.

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore
Advanced Design and Technology
Application Integration Middleware Division
IBM Software Group
+1-919-254-4436
remoore@us.ibm.com

"Wayne F. Tackabury" <wayne@goldwiretech.com>@snmp.com on 07/19/2001