Re: snmpconf Trap parameters in snmpSend

Steve> 1  Add a different accessor function for sending v1 traps, with
Steve> the associated generic-trap, specific-trap, and enterprise
Steve> parameters.  The agent-addr parameter could either require an
Steve> additional argument, or be intuited from an IP address from the
Steve> agent.

Steve> I don't really favor this.

Steve> 2 Specify that, when using the Trap operation with snmpSend,
Steve> that the supplied parameters should follow V2Trap semantics,
Steve> and automatically converted using the rules of rfc2576, section
Steve> 3.2.

Steve> I favor this approach, as it removes the need for adding an
Steve> accessor function for an exception case.

FYI, this is functionally what the net-snmp API does (as well as many
other APIs, I suspect) and we end up supporting both the "I'm sending
a v1 trap" and "I'm sending a v2 trap" and they both get automagically
converted (when possible).  However, if I were to pick one (which I
think SHOULD be done for snmpconf for simplicity purposes) I'd say go
with specifying v2 traps and having them get automatically converted
to v1 if the CR/NR in question supports v1 trap generation.
--
Wes Hardaker
NAI Labs