Re: snmpconf Issue #18 resolution - Update capabilities table

Jesus David, good thing disk is cheap these days.

So, in general I think having the ability to advertise well defined and
standardized capabilities might be useful.  I'm not so much concerned about
bandwidth to transmit a policy so much as the processor power needed to
compute policies that may not apply to me.  In a large and varied network,
I can there being all sorts of policy scripts, many of which may not be
applicable to a given box.  I would really rather not waste CPU cycles
determining a script is not applicable to my box...I have enough other
things to do with them.

BTW, it occurs to me that, as an alternative to MIB objects, we could have
a "requires" statement in the policy definition language.  This statement
could be used as a hint by the agent to determine whether or not it should
bother processing a policy.

-Matt

--On Monday, June 11, 2001 4:51 PM +0200 David Partain