Re: snmpconf PM MIB Issue #9

I believe Juergen's proposal gives the flexibility that the write can be
done early but it must be complete by the time the button push is
complete in the snmpStorage MIB. In other words, it's like syncing a
file system. Prior to the sync the application knows that things *might*
have been written to disk but there is no guarantee. The sync can't
complete until any unwritten data is written. After the sync the app has
a guarantee that the data is written.

This adapts to multiple strategies, including:
1) Write to nvram immediately on activating the target row (sync is a
no-op)
2) Every N seconds, look for unwritten rows and write them (sync only
writes rows that have been modified since last interval)
3) Delay writes until sync button is pushed

I also agree with Juergen's point that if an agent did #1 for a given
target table, it wouldn't necessarily add an entry to the snmpStorage
table for that target table. This gives such an agent another option.

My main question is, given that there's no way for Juergen's proposal to
be standardized before the PM MIB, how do we proceed now? We could:

1) Do nothing and wait for the storage-type MIB to clarify the PM MIB in
the same way as it will clarify all other existing use of storageType.
(This doesn't add any dependence on the completion of the storage type
MIB).
2) Add a scalar to the PM MIB that writes all nonVolatile entries

Steve