Re: snmpconf PM MIB Issue #9

After thinking about this more, I am not sure we should create a new mechanism
just for this MIB Module. We could use a technique with regard to the storage
of polices/tables that I have successfully used in several products that Steve
mentions below. Specifically we create a couple of scalar objects that allow
the user to set the granularity of 'saving' to permanent storage. The simplest
case is a single button for the entire PM MIB module to update all changes.
Finer granularity is possible. This is about as far as we might go in this MIB
Module. Future designs should take into account the nvram problem. There are
others such as the need to commit huge changes all at once.

So my recommendation is that if we feel we must we can put one or two scalar
update objects into the MIB Module (the script/code storage might be a good
place). I certainly do not feel strongly about it. The rest is up to the MIB
designers of DiffServ etc.
/jon

> The issue states:
>
> =================
> * Discussion of permanent storage and configuration update
>   implications of the Policy Module on the rest of the system
>
>   Issue: in DiffServ MIB discussions, the use of the StorageType
>   TC has been called into question. Specifically, implementors
>   said that the granularity used in the DiffServ MIB (storage
>   per row) was not realistic in an environment where flash
>   was used. We need to look at how we use StorageType to
>   determine if it's appropriate for such environments or if
>   we need to come up with an alternative approach (perhaps a
>   "bigger button" at a higher level of granularity).
> =================
>
> I'm happy to replace storage type with another mechanism but I'd rather
> not invent it from scratch given that I've never personally had
> experience with this problem myself. Is there a generally-accepted
> solution to this problem? A single write-everything-to-nvram button? Or
> keep (son of) storage-type and add a button that only writes all
> storage-type=nonvolatile rows?
>
> If this happens to just be a DiffServ issue, I hope someone will speak
> up. The PM MIB is designed to go well beyond DiffServ.
>

> Steve

Jon Saperia		     saperia@jdscons.com
			     Phone: 617-744-1079
			     Fax:   617-249-0874