Re: snmpconf Issue #18 resolution - Update capabilities table

Hi,

This issue hasn't been appropriately aired, based upon what
I see in the mail archive.  I'm going to try to collect in a
single message where we are.  I hope those who will only read
mail that fits in a vt100 will forgive the length of this.

To summarize for those who won't read the whole thing:

  I believe the coarse granularity of capabilities information
  in the capabilities table is useful for short-circuiting
  downloads of useless policies.  Regardless of the
  implementation of that idea, I think it's a useful mechanism.
  I have not been convinced that this idea is fundamentally
  wrong or useless.

  As such, I continue to believe that the capability tables
  as proposed by Jon - perhaps with some adjustments - are
  fundamentally the right thing to do.

Now...  It seems reasonable to remind ourselves what the
capabilities table is for.  Based on what I believe was a
reasonable consensus in Minneapolis, the capabilities table
is to be a relatively high-level way of being able to say
what a box can do.  As I see it, the purpose is specifically
to short-circuit downloading meaningless policy scripts to a
policy engine that can't possibly implement it.  Why bother
sending a diffserv-based policy to a policy engine that has
no diffserv support?  Of course, you can go ahead and send it
if you want and it should result in exactly nothing happening
on the box.

Given that, why bother having the mechanism?  I believe there
is real value in short-circuiting the process so that policy
engines aren't wasting cycles on useless scripts, memory
doesn't get used storing them, plus it's _possible_ that bad
things could happen if you send inappropriate scripts to a
policy engine.

I say all this because I think it's important to understand
why it's there at all before going deeper into the way
it's implemented.  The raison d'Ítre for the table is quite
important, in my view.  I'm less attached to the implementation
of it.

Of course, you _could_ use existing MIB infrastructure to
determine capabilities, at least to some degree.  However,
the capabilities table gives you single place to look for
capabilities.  I suspect we are going to find that you might
need to do other complementary checks, but, frankly, we don't
know that yet.

Jon published, in
http://www.snmp.com/snmpconf/mailing-list/msg00732.html, a
suggested updated capabilities table that reflected a phone call
that he had with David Perkins (his take on that call, anyway).
That text is the basis of the discussion below.  By the way,
David Perkins's issues (at least some of them) are outlined
in http://www.snmp.com/snmpconf/mailing-list/msg00727.html

I then tried to close the issue and got a bit of response :-)