RE: snmpconf Re: SNMPCONF WG Notice: Policy Terminology Draft, Extended WG Last Call (fwd)

Replies inline.
Andrea

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-snmpconf@snmp.com [mailto:owner-snmpconf@snmp.com]On Behalf
Of Jon Saperia
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 1:24 PM
To: policy@raleigh.ibm.com
Cc: snmpconf@snmp.com
Subject: snmpconf Re: SNMPCONF WG Notice: Policy Terminology Draft,
Extended WG Last Call (fwd)

Joel sent my posting back to me the other day with the suggestion that I
reforward it to the Policy WG and that I add as much specific lanaguage
as possible.

At 06:21 PM 5/14/01 -0400, Jon Saperia wrote:
>Ed,
>
>Thanks for the additional poke. I have commented on previous versions of
>this document. One of my original concerns still stands in that the
>document often references the COPS protocols and not SNMP in the context
>of Policy information. Specifics:
>
>    1. There is no reference to SNMPCONF.:

<arw> We have tried to clean up the references to WGs in the document - but
I see that AAA still talks about the WG.  I would rather move the sentences
around in the definition of AAA (as noted below), than to include the
existence of IETF WGs in an RFC.  Here is a new definition for AAA:
      (A) AAA deals with control, authentication, authorization and
        accounting of systems and environments based on policies
        set by the administrators and users of the systems. The use
        of policy may be implicit - as defined by RADIUS [R2138].
        In RADIUS, a network access server sends dial-user credentials
        to an AAA server, and receives authentication that the user is
        who he/she claims, along with a set of attribute-value
        pairs authorizing various service features.  Policy is implied
        in both the authentication, which can be restricted by time of
        day, number of sessions, calling number, etc., and the attribute-
        values authorized.

From page 3:

       - "T" identifies various techniques to create or convey
         policy-related information in a network.  For example,
         COPS and an "Information Model" are two techniques for
         communicating and describing policy-related data.

Replace with:

       - "T" identifies various techniques to create or convey
       policy-related information in a network.  For example, COPS and
       an "Information Model" are two techniques for communicating and
       describing policy-related data. SNMP and MIBs are another.

<arw> OK.

>    2. There is an incorrect impression left by the definition of PIB and
>    MIB that MIBs do not/can not carry policy information.  In fact the
>    definition of a MIB points back to a PIB.

<arw> Could you elaborate on this comment (that MIBs point to a PIB)?  This
is what is in the draft ...
 $ MIB
      See "Policy Management Information Base."
 $ Policy Management Information Base (MIB)
      (T) Collections of policy-related managed objects, defined as
        a module and accessed via an SNMP framework.

>An additional comment:
>
>    Policy Translation - This mixes access methods (such as CLI) with
>    level of abstraction. If you want to call translation the thing you
>    do when moving from one access method to another great. There is way
>    too much in the current policy translation definition to be helpful I
>    do not agree with the use of 'blurring' in this definition.

<arw> We have spent much time arguing over levels of translation and
abstraction in the WG and within the policy terminology editors list.  This
issue has been raised at least twice before, with a decision to keep the
definition "as is".  Translation is not restricted to "moving from one
access method to another".  You could translate in a single tool from policy
goals and SLAs to specific device representations (with no access methods
involved at all).  The reality is that the industry and implementations have
blurred this term.  However, if you would like to propose a specific
rewrite, I would be happy to discuss this one more time.

SNMP and SNMPCONF should be added to the terminology section.

<arw> I will add a description of SNMP as a "technique", but will be
removing all WG references.

------- End of Forwarded Message