Re: snmpconf PM MIB issue #6 CLOSED - counter32Delta and counterRate

David,

I'm not talking about counter wraps -- I'm talking
about discontinuities as they're defined in SMI.
Back in the beginning (actually before I became
involved with SNMP, so somebody can correct me if
I'm getting this wrong), the only discontinuity
event recognized for a counter was reset of the
SNMP agent.  So a manager was supposed to retrieve
sysUpTime along with counter values, and determine
that there had not been an agent reset before
doing a delta calculation.

Later, it was realized that counters could undergo
discontinuities even when the entire SNMP agent
did not have a reset.  Examples include subagent
reset, resource reconfiguration, and resource
deactivation/reactivation.  So additional objects
were added to MIBs, to store the time at which a
specific counter or set of counters last
experienced a discontinuity.  Managers are
supposed to check these discontinuity objects
(as well as sysUpTime) before doing a delta
calculation.  I'm just looking for some similar
validation, before a script does a delta
calculation, that the resulting delta value will
be valid.

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore
Advanced Design and Technology
Application Integration Middleware Division
IBM Software Group
+1-919-254-4436
remoore@us.ibm.com

David Partain <David.Partain@ericsson.com>@snmp.com on 05/17/2001 08:24:07