Re: snmpconf PM MIB issue #6 CLOSED - counter32Delta and counterRate

Hi Bob,

I wrote:

dp> Issue:  When Steve presented counter32Delta and counterRate,
dp> there was a fair bit of discussion on whether they were right
dp> as they are. More thought and discussion is required.
dp>
dp> There have been no discussion and no questions.  As such,
dp> I assume that everyone understands how these two accessor
dp> functions work and that the description is clear.
dp>
dp> If you have questions, please bring them up quickly.

and Bob Moore did:

bm> I'm still uneasy about counter discontinuity indicators
bm> and how they figure into this topic.  The purpose of a
bm> discontinuity indicator is to raise a flag that says
bm> "Don't do a delta calculation for this counter - the
bm> result will be invalid!"  Since these accessor functions
bm> don't themselves do anything with discontinuity indicators
bm> (and it's hard to see how they could, since that would
bm> require MIB knowledge), it must be up to the script writer
bm> to check them before invoking these functions.

I'm not sure what I'm missing... In the definition of
counterRate, there is the following text:

        The delta calculation will allow for 32-bit counter semantics
        if it encounters rollover between the two retrievals unless
        the optional argument '64bit' is present and equal to 1,
        in which case it will allow for 64-bit counter semantics.

That looks to me like the policy engine _will_ keep track of
the rollover and provide a correct delta.  Furthermore,
counter32Delta is specifically to retrieve the delta of
two numbers while taking 32-bit rollover into account.

bm> If this is
bm> how it's supposed to work, then the document should have
bm> examples where the calls to these functions are preceded
bm> by statements that check (and save) the appropriate
bm> discontinuity indicator.

There is only one example, under counter32Delta().  It
doesn't look at a discontinuity indicator, since this
doesn't exist as I see it.

Can you help me understand the scenarios that you think
something more might be needed?

bm> I know this moves the scripts in the direction of larger
bm> and uglier, but given the way counters are defined in SMI,
bm> I don't see any other way to do it.

With kind regards,

--
David Partain                  David.Partain@ericsson.com
Ericsson Radio Systems AB      Tel:    +46 13 28 41 44