Re: snmpconf Issue #18 resolution - Update capabilities table

David,

I haven't read Jon's update message after speaking with him on
the phone. The talk troubled me greatly due to my perception
of Jon's lack of knowledge about MODULE-COMPLIANCEs and AGENT-CAPs.
I believe that it is bad for the SNMP community to use
MODULE-COMPLIANCEs to specify capabilities. Whatever small gain
that would help SNMPCONF, is offset by the damage that it can
and I believe will do the SNMP community.

Additionally, I have a major problem with trying to use some
sort of capabilities specification that an agent provides
to assist an unknown manager. I believe that EVERY management
application must have either a separate program or a component
within it to probe an agent to determine if it has the
capabilities that are needed to support its requirements.
Only the management app knows its requirements. Only after
a management app is written and the requirements specified,
can an agent developer determine if it meets the requirements.
It is "just silly" for an agent to advertise capabilities
for future and of course unknown management apps and HOPE
that the capabilities specification is complete and precise
enough to allow a management app to determine if it can
interoperate with an agent without probing the agent.
Once you need to probe an agent, when why bother with
checking for a capabilities specification.

Regards,
/david t. perkins