[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: snmpconf to-do deadline today
Here's a dump of my list.
1. Add pmPolicyElementTypeFilter object to restrict a policy to run
only on certain element types
2. Change form of pmElementTypeRegOIDPrefix so that the OID is
specified up to the table.entry part.
3. Change the schedule table to use the semantics that PCIM uses
4. Add mechanism to clean up resources on RTE or call to die()
5. Provide for deletion of scratchpad variables
6. Need to specify storage type for scratchpad variables
7. Provide a way for an action to defer itself to the next lower
8. Align with policy framework terminology wherever appropriate
9. Rework the role table index to make it simpler for systems that
don't act as a mid-level manager. Using same technique, add
context and addressing info to other auxiliary table that need it.
10. In snmp accessor functions, allow integer values to be specified
in the form "descriptor(1)" so that the code can self-document
enumeration values. The descriptor text is completely ignored by
We could go further and define the integer coercion rules so that
ToInteger("descriptor(1)") == 1
I still have a couple of unresolved issues here so I'm thinking a
11. Have a consistent capitalization convention in naming accessor
12. Add optional arguments to snmpsend to send to another context or
to a remote system. Make this consistent across all snmp functions
that require it.
13. Add optional context/addressing arguments to roleMatch() and
14. Specify overflow rules for integer arithmetic
15. Bug: if/for/while must call ToBoolean on their expression
16. Specify that function arguments are coerced to the proper type
17. Specify that by default context and address default to that of the
18. Suggest that smarter implementations might want to rerun policies
prior to maxLatency if a role changes
19. Note that agents are allowed to terminate a script that exceeds
a local CPU or memory limitation.
20. Helper objects to help NMS failover?
21. Stuff from Partain's 3/6 email
22. add $* which is equal to $0.$1.$2 ... for as many subids as exist
23. Fix race condition problem with codeTable
24. Receive/send traps/notifications?
25. Possibly change who points to who between policy table and code
26. rationalize usage of character vs. octet in light of UTF8
27. More thinking about how policies clean up when no longer active.
28. Have policy re-execute on all elements if filter or action
changes or if parameter is changed. Also clear the scratchpad for
all PolicyElement or Policy execution contexts for this policy.
If changing the code requires that I modify 6 code segments, take
care to not re-execute 6 times.
29. Allow filters to do sets?
30. Should setvar() return an error code?
31. Add function to retrieve the context/address of this execution
32. Potentially rename pmElementTypeRegName
33. Define how the return value of the policyAction is
treated. 0 could have cleanup() or defer() semantics.
Plus, treat as "on the table" stuff previously brought up by Wes, Bob,
David, and Bert. For David and Bert I am referring to a private email
from David and Bert's markup of a printed copy of the PM MIB, in my
posession. I know we're not being that lawyerly about this but I just
want to make it "official".
1. Not sure if we want the PBCM acronym.
2. Suggest renaming "policy objects" to "provisioning objects".
3. HVAC MIB needs a name that can be used to easily find templates
4. I think we need a number of changes to the model in Section 7
and Section 8: need to decouple instance-independence
from implementation/mechanism/domain-independence. Further, use of
the phrase "xxx-specific" is confusing WRT dependend/independent.
Also make sure that implementation guidance is consistent with
current state of PM MIB. Also need to come to further agreement
on what is a mechanism-specific MIB.
David Partain wrote:
> Please recall that today is the deadline for submission of
> issues that you think need to be addressed on the SNMPCONF
> documents. You do not need to have the solution complete,
> but we do need to know that you want the change.
> With kind regards,
> David Partain David.Partain@ericsson.com
> Ericsson Radio Systems AB Tel: +46 13 28 41 44
> Research and Innovation Fax: +46 13 28 75 67
> P.O. Box 1248
> SE-581 12 Linköping, Sweden