Re: snmpconf issue #1: language versioning

Pablo> capmatch(newFeatureA)    true on version 2 and 3 (and future versions)
Pablo> ! capmatch(removedFeatureX)  true only on version 1

The only problem with the above is that feature X may not be assumed
to be a "feature" but is a core specification right now.  What happens
if, for instance, we don't declare the feature "createAndWaitRow"
function now, but decide to remove it later in favor of the new,
frequently discussed already, createRow which does either
createAndWait or createAndGo.  Old scripts will break if the previous
function (ie, feature) is removed and not checked for.

Pablo> This brings up the issue of an implementation supporting
Pablo> multiple versions of the Policy language. My question is how
Pablo> would you indicate which version of the language you want to
Pablo> use? It's one thing to abort the script when using the wrong
Pablo> version, it's another thing to somehow set the interpreter mode
Pablo> to the correct supported version.

I originally suggested that uploaded code have a column indicating the
version number of the code in question.  This leaves no room for
errors and doesn't require "if (version1)" wrappers around anything,
which is a boon in my opinion.  No one else seemed to like it though,
but I suspect you might.

--
Wes Hardaker
NAI Labs