Re: snmpconf PM MIB Policy vs. QOS Policy

Steve> From time to time I see policies described simply as packet
Steve> treatment specs like:

Steve> if (srcIP == a.b.c.d)
Steve> then set DSCP to EF

Steve> I don't expect that implementations will execute scripts on a
Steve> per-packet basis to determine treatment of the packet as this
Steve> would be somewhat slow (understatement of the year!) The policy
Steve> above would really be a directive to the diffserv system (for
Steve> example) telling it how to treat packets - in other words it
Steve> would all exist in the policyAction. But the other problem is
Steve> it doesn't say which interfaces should treat packets this way.

Certainly the policy in the PM table should define what policies to
"implement" in the QOS table, and the packet filtering is not done by
the script itself (as you pointed out).  I'm not all that familiar
with the QOS tables, so I'll switch to a IPSEC-POLICY-MIB example: I'd
expect my PM action script to set up the filters by performing
appropriate SETs to those MIB tables (which includes a set of "how to
filter packet" tables).  Now, the IPSEC-POLICY-MIB table also has a
table that allows you to assign a filter set to a given interface, so
that actions could assign the policy definitions to certain interfaces
if need be (professing ignorance (not remembering the PM tables well
enough), are the actions passed the element in question as a
parameter?)  I think the IPSEC-POLICY-MIB mib is set up will for your
particular problem, and the PM scripts to configure the tables would
be fairly easy to write (though long, because the tables contain a lot
of data).

--
Wes Hardaker
NAI Labs