Re: snmpconf To Do list items

For the history of this discussion, please see attached.

For the most part I agree with everything that David said except
exclusion of technology specific details in the PM. In the end every
policy is technology specific, even the RMON examples, so that is hard
to avoid. However:

On reflection, I think we may need a number of examples in a number of
documents. My view is that the goals should be:

           1. For the Policy MIB Module:

                 A. How to write effective and concise policy scripts -
                 The script portion of what Hongal wrote would be
                 great. I do see the desire not to get to technology
                 (Domain-Specific) in that document so the inclusion of
                 the DiffServ script would be just one example. There
                 probably should be others. There are already some
                 examples that Steve has provided to show portions of
                 how the language works.

                 B. How the Policy Module can use MIB Modules like the
                 DiffServ Policy Module since that makes a significant
                 simplification in the policy script.

                 C. An example of a policy that manipulates
                 instance-specific MIB objects directly. There are
                 already some others would not hurt.

           2. For the DiffServ Policy Module:

                  A. Basic examples and how the module is used with the
                  DiffServ Module. Hongals example does a great job of
                  this.

                  B. Use of the DiffServ and DiffServ Policy Modules
                  without the benefit of the Policy Module. This can
                  show the flexibility of the system we have created.

                  C. Use of the PM and the DiffServ PM and the DiffServ
                  MIB in combination. Again Hongals piece does a good
                  job.

                  D. Use of the DiffServ PM with Implementation specific
                  extensions such as the ones in Hongal's example. We
                  would also want to point out or to the instance
                  specific counterparts so people understand how all the
                  pieces work - this is a part of Hongals example that
                  might benefit from expansion.

           3. In the BCP (the policy section) we can be a bit more broad
           so we could have a wide variety of scripts and real or
           imaginary MIB objects as examples. I see no reason to limit
           the scope (other than time/cost benefit) of the examples in
           the BCP.

        A. We probably want to add one or two more simple examples to
        the PM Document. It does not harm to use DiffServ as one of
        them, though we probably should just focus on his since script
        slide.

        B. As much as possible of Hongals work with as much detail
        should go in the DiffServ PM since that is the best exposition
        on this work I have seen and is relevant to the DiffServ PM.

        C. Other examples should go in the BCP as time permits.

/jon

Jon Saperia		     saperia@jdscons.com
			     Phone: 617-744-1079
			     Fax:   617-249-0874