Re: snmpconf To Do list items

Hi,

Jon wrote:
>         1. I think it was Bert that raised the question about more
> examples in the BCP. Is this correct? In either case we should probably
> add one or two to the BCP for the policy section as examples of good
> ways to use the system. I believe that Hongal can help with this.

Bert replied:

Harrie wrote:
> There is already an example in the diffserv-policy draft.
> It does not have a full-blown scripting example as would be used
> in the policy-mib module, but I attempted to keep it as simple
> as possible.
>
> Therefore, I start to wonder where do we want to put the example
> of Hongal. I don't think it is the policy-mib draft and the
> diffserv-policy draft already has an example.
> one thing that was good with the example of Hongal was how to
> use vendor extensions, but that is IMHO a diffserv-example.

Jon responded:

Hongal wrote:

> I do not see a strong reason not to include this example in
> the policy document considering the fact that this example is
> focused at
>
> 1.  An example policy description, rules and their equivalent
> 'Filter' and 'Action' code segment.
>
> 2.  Action part shows how an vendor extension access function
> can be used to clone the data path template.
>
> 3.  How we populate  data in pmPolicyTable, pmRoleTable,
> ElementTable  tables.
>
> 4.  Of course I tried to visualize the cloning part with
> tables, which is only for the purpose to support the example,
> not to focus on theory of differentiated services.

I believe that Hongal's example would be extremely useful
and think that it should go in the diffserv policy MIB.
I do not think that it should be in the PM module since I
don't think we should have technology-specific examples there.
It's rather diffserv-specific, and it's very like the example
we already have in the diffserv policy MIB, so I'm not sure
that the BCP is the right place either, but I really don't have
a strong preference.  Two examples is certainly a good thing.

Cheers,

--
David Partain                  David.Partain@ericsson.com
Ericsson Radio Systems AB      Tel:    +46 13 28 41 44