[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Here's a description of how the items on the official todo list were
3. Addition of two objects that help with the test/verification and
status of policies in the policy table.
This item was completed with the addition of the
4. Example Scripts - these should show some basic scripts as
examples of the language and will be generally useful.
See section 6.3.
5. Need to define element "0.0" for "this system" (think of it of
policies for scalar elements). This work item needs further
See section 5.2 and def'n for pmElementTypeRegOIDPrefix.
6. Potentially need more thinking about how policies clean up when
no longer active. See comments/suggestions presentation made by Jon
at October Interim. Follow up on WG discussion on error conditions
based on termination or override.
See pmPolicyAdminStatus object (activeAutoRemove(2))
7. Make changes for pass by reference.
See section 9, page 27.
8.Might be nice to have "Notes for C programmers", "Notes for Perl
programmers", etc. each with several things to consider (e.g. C
programmers should be reminded of implicit pass by reference, Perl
programmers should be reminded that comments don't start with '#' and
vars don't start with '$'. Be nice to show how small these lists are
to prove this is the 'esperanto' language
Section 6.3.1 - 6.3.5
9. Change to C++ reference
10. Add automatic initialization
Section 6.2.1 page 18
12. regexp accessor function
Section 9.4.1 and 9.4.2
13. regexp and partial match for searchcolumn
15. Add newPDU()
16. Explicit element addresses as varargs for roleMatch and capMatch
for example, when processing DLCI, what is role of containing port?
Section 9.3.1 and 9.3.2.
17. Add signalError() accessor function and enumeration per execution
context (also for abnormalTermination) and pmSignalErrors gauge
18. Define terms like execution context and "this element" - This
might go in a glossary section.
Top of page 6.
19. loosely-typed variables - If the WG decided to go with this the
fixes for the BNF and other text needs to be added.
20. Varargs for snmpsend for context, targer, and security info
21. add rules for what authority scripts run under
See pmPolicyFilter, pmPolicyAction
22. Add inherited access rights discussion to security considerations
See Security Considerations
24. Replace string "access functions" -> "accessor functions"
25. Incorporate (by value) schedule mib with changes presented by Jon
at the San Diego IETF. We should add some examples to show different
types of schedules and how they are used.
Section 10 and pmSchedTable
26. Protection from looping
28. More text about "this element" being index, context + address.
Top of page 6
29. Policy state object for showing inactive due to precedence.
See pmTrackingPolicyToElementInfo object.
30. How about the index of the next-higher overriding policy?
31. Need context and address added to role tables
32. Show an example of 2 repeaters in different contexts on the same
box - This is a specific example of examples, we should add them as
34. Delete roleStringSETable?
See page 74 and notice there is no roleStringSETable.
35. Do we want to provide a parameter to a script (see Docsis
example for why (address of NMS))
See pmPolicyParameters and getParameters() accessor function
36. Error to use a varbind that wasn't set
Section 9.1.3, page 36
37. Can we get a reference for the biblio for EBNF?
There isn't any single EBNF to reference. Instead I included a
definition of the syntax we are using. It is the second
paragraph of page 14.
implementation specific limits on scratchpad variables per policy
implementation specific limits on global scratchpad may be lower
39. Consider (in examples), having descriptor-style OIDs not in
quotes so they aren't confused
Considered but the decision was to continue to use quotes for
readability and clarity that they are, in fact, strings. The
confusion was addressed with very explicit text that warns
(repeatedly) that descriptors are never used "over the wire".
40. Be very explicit that examples are using descriptors despite the
fact that this is not the "over the wire" representation.
See the entire document. Repeated references are made to this.
41. Make sure casting rules are clear for snmp functions
43. Counter delta function another benefit is that it takes away
time keeping functions from the script
See counterRate Accessor Function (Section 18.104.22.168).
44. Details regarding casting ints (sign conversion, etc.).
Overtake by events. Not needed with loosely-typed variables.
48. We need to add text to clarify pmPolicyAbnormalTerminations.
Steve Waldbusser wrote:
> I submitted the updated Policy Based Management MIB to the Internet
> Drafts editor.
> It probably won't be available in the repository till midweek. Until
> then you can download and read it from:
> >From the published todo list, the following are now completed (or
> otherwise resolved):
> 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24,
> 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36,
> 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, (there's no #46), and 48.
> - added parseindex() function
> - added strtodotted() function
> - updated searchcolumn() function argument list order
> - Added regexp() and regexp_replace()
> - Updated variable format for calling convention for SNMP functions
> - Unparsable OID is a run-time exception
> - Added regexp and partial match to searchcolumn()
> - Updated searchcolumn() description to be more readable.
> - Added counter32delta()
> - Reference to ECMAScript
> - Protection from looping
> - Deleted roleStringSETable
> - Added QuickStart guide, including helpful hints to
> C/Perl/TCL/... programmers
> - References to policy language or policy code change to PolicyScript
> - Added a notational convention for optional arguments
> - Single scope
> - Clarifications on element discovery added to pmElementTypeRegTable
> and discovery text in "front matter"
> - Fixed up comments in MIB, ensuring that everything that was in a
> comment was also in the MIB objects and deleting text that wasn't
> appropriate for a high-level intro to a table.
> - // comments
> - Added rule for out of bounds array refererence: run-time exception
> - Explicitely listed the reserved words
> - Added rules for index (string[integer]) semantics
> - rewrote pmPolicyMatches description in cool new style of
> pmPolicyAbnormalTerminations description.
> - Added context and address to roletable
> - Added pmPolicyMaxIterations object
> - Added rules for what authority scripts run under locally
> - Added inherited access rights discussion to security considerations
> - Automatic deletion of defunct policies
> - Added varargs for snmpsend for context, target, and security info
> - setvar will automaticilally convert value to string using tostring()
> - changed argument order of scratchpad arguments (Wes's email)
> - Clarified return value of modifiable arguments in case of error
> (most will not change the argument).
> - Added storageType variables to policy, elementTypeReg, and
> notificationReg tables.
> - Added counter32Delta() accessor function.
> - A few code examples
> - Many, many clarifying edits/rewrites and typos fixed.