Re: snmpconf Policy MIB: elements

Bob/Steve,

The conversation about Element discovery is a good one. I have a couple
of points that are related:

> A and B are correct, but C isn't.
>
> The agent won't do discovery of elements that aren't listed in the
> elementTypeRegTable. In most cases the manager writes an entry into the
> table, in effect saying "I want to have some policies that act on
> elements of the following type. Please discover and manage execution for
> elements of this new type". So if ifEntry is not represented in the
> table, policies will not be run on interfaces. Further, even if there
> are no circuits at the moment, there can be a frCircuit entry in the
> table that causes the agent to continuously check for new circuits.

I agree with Steve in terms of the importance of allow for 'specialized'
code. One rewording I would like to help avoid the problem Steve pointed
out. From Section 5.2 Element Discovery on page 9:

Change:

> For example, the ifTable and the dot3Stats table both contain
> attributes of interfaces and share the same index (ifIndex),
> therefore they can be modeled in this model as one element
> type.

to:

For example, the ifTable and the dot3Stats table both contain
attributes of interfaces and share the same index (ifIndex),
therefore they should be modeled in this model as one element
type.

I think 'should' more clearly conveys the intent and level of what an
elment type is intended to be.

Also from page 9:

> The Element Type Registration table is used for the manager to
> learn what element types are being managed by the system and
> to register new types if necessary. An element type is
> registered by providing the OID of an SNMP object (i.e.,
> without the instance). Each SNMP instance that exists under
> that object is a distinct element. The address of the element
> is the index part of the discovered OID. This address will be
> supplied to policy filters and actions so that this code can
> inspect and configure the element.

Change 'used for the manager' to used by the manager.

We probably also want a word or two in the table definition that says
talks about interactions where a Manager attempts to delete or modify a
row that has been 'discovered' by an agent. I would bet the behavior
that one would want is that the manager overrides native behavior for
the length of time of pmElementTypeRegStorageType.

Jon Saperia		     saperia@jdscons.com
			     Phone: 617-744-1079
			     Fax:   617-249-0874
			     http://www.jdscons.com/