Re: relationship of snmpconf to midcom?

> > The only point I have been stressing is that the configuration of these
> > middle boxes should be done with an extant management (SNMP) technology.
>
> i find this interesting in light of the absense of definition of what is to
> be configured.  does everything always look like a nail?

Your question, presses the usual engineering issue when a new feature is
required. Do you invent something completely new which is hand tailored
for what you are building and thus possibly better suited to that
particular application, or do you take something that exists and
add/modify to it? We can find ample examples of each approach in other
areas of technology that we all work with.

Configuration functions differ in some respects for each technology and
are similar in other respects. Good engineering design practice
suggests that an effort is better served by leveraging those
similarities when possible rather than recoding essentially
similar/duplicate functions.

Jon Saperia		     saperia@jdscons.com
			     Phone: 617-744-1079
			     Fax:   617-249-0874