Re: relationship of snmpconf to midcom?

What I'm saying now is my understanding of midcom which may or may not be
understanding of a prospective WG, IESG, or whomever else.

The driver behind midcom is the desire to get VoIP and other applications
using session protocols (SIP, RTSP, H.323, ... ) across firewalls
and NATs (and possibly other "middleboxes"). It is difficult unless
the middleboxes understand the applications. Though one may have
embedded ALGs in such middleboxes, there are scenarios in which
it seems easier to have the application awareness out of them.

This is the scenario midcom is looking at. A protocol is needed
which allows the application to ask "please, tell me a NAT translation
that will be applied to my packet voice stream" or "please, open a pinhole
for the stream in the firewall".

There are, IMHO, two items on the midcom to-do-list: to document this
problem: scope, issues, requirements, etc. Once the problem is understood
and  documented, the next item will be to show how it can or cannot be
solved using existing protocols. Meanwhile, I've heard many protocols
spelled in this context including SNMP, COPS-PR, LDAP, MGCP, ....

To address some of the technical comments/questions raised previously:
- It will be a requirement that the midcom protocol (whatever it is)
  operates in real-time.
- I do not think that web caches are of primary interest. Firewalls and
  NATs are.

Those interested in foglamps may check its archive and/or subscribe to
the mailing list:

foglamps@lists.panix.com
Archive: http://www.fokus.gmd.de/glone/ietf/foglamps/

Jiri