[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
snmpconf To Do list
Folks. As promised, here is the to do list. The idea is that we work on
these issues for the next draft revisions.
Tasks/Issues for the Best Current Practices Document:
1. Finish reorganization and grouping of topics. This includes
rename of the headings and intro section where appropriate.
2. Spelling, edits, grammar, etc.
3. Complete the expansion/revision of editorial comments
embedded in the .003 document.
Connect new table introduced in .03 version of the BCP with SNMP
Complete Example MIB Module with clear connection to what objects
are mechanism and instance specific and how this might relate to a
policy MIB Module. In addition, each object description in the
module should have an explanation of what the object is
Add section on MIB Module design for configuration objects.
Discuss some examples from/considerations on RMON-II.
Discuss issues with SNMPv3 security specifically: examples from the
USEC/VACM realm. Complete/review existing sections such as contexts.
Complete a glossary section to the point where it is useful or
Tasks/Issues for the Policy MIB Module:
1. Editorial Review
2. Relationship to other MIB Module sections needs to be completed.
3. Addition of two objects that help with the test/verification and
status of policies in the policy table.
4. Example Scripts - these should show some basic scripts as
examples of the language and will be generally useful.
5. Need to define element "0.0" for "this system" (think of it of
policies for scalar elements). This work item needs further
6. Potentially need more thinking about how policies clean up when
no longer active. See comments/suggestions presentation made by Jon
at October Interim. Follow up on WG discussion on error conditions
based on termination or override.
7. Make changes for pass by reference.
8.Might be nice to have "Notes for C programmers", "Notes for Perl
programmers", etc. each with several things to consider (e.g. C
programmers should be reminded of implicit pass by reference, Perl
programmers should be reminded that comments don't start with '#' and
vars don't start with '$'. Be nice to show how small these lists are
to prove this is the 'esperanto' language
9. Change to C++ reference
10. Add automatic initialization
11. Setcli accessor function - Item to be resolved on email list
12. regexp accessor function
13. regexp and partial match for searchcolumn
14. Write up createAndGo API.
15. Add newPDU()
16. Explicit element addresses as varargs for roleMatch and capMatch
for example, when processing DLCI, what is role of containing port?
17. Add signalError() accessor function and enumeration per execution
context (also for abnormalTermination) and pmSignalErrors gauge
18. Define terms like execution context and "this element" - This
might go in a glossary section.
19. loosely-typed variables - If the WG decided to go with this the
fixes for the BNF and other text needs to be added.
20. Varargs for snmpsend for context, targer, and security info
21. add rules for what authority scripts run under
22. Add inherited access rights discussion to security considerations
24. Replace string "access functions" -> "accessor functions"
25. Incorporate (by value) schedule mib with changes presented by Jon
at the San Diego IETF. We should add some examples to show different
types of schedules and how they are used.
26. Protection from looping
27. Capabilities and role tables need to be rationalized and ensure
unnecessary overlap is removed.
28. More text about "this element" being index, context + address.
29. Policy state object for showing inactive due to precedence.
30. How about the index of the next-higher overriding policy?
31. Need context and address added to role tables
32. Show an example of 2 repeaters in different contexts on the same
box - This is a specific example of examples, we should add them as
33. Helper objects to help NMS fall-over? Registration object that
must be refreshed? If it doesn't refresh, another NMS takes over?
Could be added to regTable as follows:
rename table to NMS reg table
add pmNMSOffline notification
inactive managers also register
enumeration: receive role/cap notifications while offline: true/false
read-write value that is periodically set by active manager
(should inactive mgrs also set their object?)
agent sends nmsOffline notification to all 2ndary mgrs
This entire issue needs some discussions and reflection.
34. Delete roleStringSETable?
35. Do we want to provide a parameter to a script (see Docsis
example for why (address of NMS))
36. Error to use a varbind that wasn't set
37. Can we get a reference for the biblio for EBNF?
implementation specific limits on scratchpad variables per policy
implementation specific limits on global scratchpad may be lower
39. Consider (in examples), having descriptor-style OIDs not in
quotes so they aren't confused
40. Be very explicit that examples are using descriptors despite the
fact that this is not the "over the wire" representation. 41. Make
sure casting rules are clear for snmp functions
42. Ask randy whether we need wstrlen()?
43. Counter delta function another benefit is that it takes away
time keeping functions from the script 44. Details regarding casting
ints (sign conversion, etc.).
44. Include same terminology/normative text as in the bcp and
diffserv modules with regard to domain, mechanism, implementation
and instance specific objects.
45. Add a sentence or two at beginning of doc talking about the role
of this in integrated management (e.g., counter delta function #43
and why that is relevant for configuration) and how this module can
47. Do we need/want to reference SMIng data types (we will be done
before SMIng)? How do we reference new things once deployed?
48. We need to add text to clarify pmPolicyAbnormal Terminations.
49. Need to clarify the use/function of the notification
registration table relative to the snmpNotifyFilterTable and
snmpNotifyTable. Same for VACM.
50. Need text on resource clean up.
Tasks/Issues for the Policy MIB Module:
1. Revisions based on the .07 version of the DiffServ module.
2. Final edits/changes/spelling, etc.
3. Reference relationship to DiffServ Module and how the system
4. Provide some examples.
5. Reference/discuss the new TCs for row status.
WG to edit Saperia ID.
Jon Saperia firstname.lastname@example.org