snmpconf Re: TE-MIB readonly or read/write

Forwarding message bounced due to address change.

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:10:53 -0800
From: Mike MacFaden <Mike.MacFaden@riverstonenet.com>
To: ben@layer8.net
CC: rfrye@longsys.com, te-wg@uu.net, snmpv3@lists.tislabs.com,
        snmpconf@snmp.com
Subject: Re: TE-MIB readonly or read/write

>From: Ben Black <ben@layer8.net>
>could you give examples of large ISPs who are asking for additional
>SNMP configuration features?  i am not at all a fan of using SNMP for
>router configuration, and i believe that puts me in the majority among
>service provider engineers.

We're putting the cart in front of the horse...

Defining a good read-write MIB module
does not necessarily imply using *all* the
SNMP framework's modules.

Per RFC 2570:

   The specifications of the Internet Standard Management Framework are
   based on a modular architecture.  This framework is more than just a
   protocol for moving data.  It consists of:

     * a data definition language,
     * definitions of management information (the Management
       Information Base, or MIB),
     * a protocol definition, and
     * security and administration.
[snip]
   To this end, the framework was architected
   with a protocol-independent data definition language and Management
   Information Base along with a MIB-independent protocol.

I believe a good read-write MIB module (and I stress good) would be ideal
to help define the common mgmt nerd-knobs to be found in a CLI
config/show cmd set or other non-IETF standard mgmt interface as well.

Regards,
Mike MacFaden
www.riverstonenet.com

------- End of Forwarded Message