Re: snmpconf out-of-policy indications - NOTIFICATIONS

on 07/13/2000 12:53 AM, Steve Waldbusser at waldbusser@nextbeacon.com wrote:

>> Should we provide some mechanism for standardizing notifications
>> advising of changes to objects that have been moved "out of policy"?
>> There are two purposes - to remind the field engineer that he made a
>> temporary change that should be reset, and to notify the architect that
>> somebody changed a value that is subsequently affecting policy.
>
> Yes, I agree this is important. Judging by other messages, it seems that
> others feel this way as well. I view this as self-documenting
> exceptions.
>

> Steve

This was part of the out of policy thread that I just responded to. In this
note Steve responded to a note by Dave Harrington. The issue here is
notifications. I think we are all in agreement on the importance of
notifications. Please see the BCP document recently posted. It has a new
section on policy overrides. It mentions notifications specifically. There
is also a general section in the document on notifications, but it probably
should be expanded. The relevant section is: