Re: snmpconf General Functional Questions

I'm not suggesting that the field engineer be prevented from making
changes. In fact, I was the original proposer for an override
capability as well as operational/debugging tools for field
engineers - they are all in the draft today.

All I want is for the field engineer to have to do something special
to override a policy. Shouldn't he at least know that he has done
something significant? Wouldn't it be good if he was thus encouraged
to think twice? Wouldn't it be good if he was encouraged to mention it
to the network architect? ("hey, I needed to disable the blah policy
on trunk 7 last night because it was interacting poorly with the
backup circuit").

My proposal is that he issue 2 commands rather than one. The first
disables the policy on the interface and the second is a normal
SNMP set that makes the change.

Regards,
Steve