Re: snmpconf General Functional Questions

I had overlooked that (background change detection) proposal.  That would
indeed produce the results you propose.  And was not what I was
expecting.  I had assumed that one would indeed modify some internal
mechanisms so taht if a change was being made to a variable which had been
modified by policy, that the "don't touch" flag would get set.

I would observe that even if that were the case, one would still have
policy effect on new things, and policy effect when collatoral conditionals
were changed.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

Also, to respond to the note expressing concern about the interaction
between the Network Architect and the Field Engineer, if the systems folks
have decided that the field engineer should not be able to change certain
things, don't given that engineer permission to change them.  In my
discussions with ISPs they have confirmed that it is normal and desirable
for field engineers to change things, and that preventing them from doing
so would be a bad thing.