Re: snmpconf Conflict Resolution Issues - Consensu

on 06/24/2000 6:24 PM, Joel M. Halpern at joel@mcquillan.com wrote:

> It is my opinion that deleting a policy should not directly cause a change
> in any attributes of any instances.  It may be reasonable to expect
> (depending upon our evaluation model) that the set of policies in effect
> should be re-evaluated, which my cause some existing policy to change the
> values of some objects.  Trying to perform a direct "unwinding" of a policy
> when it is deleted would, I think, be a very bad idea.
>
> Yours,
> Joel M. Halpern

Folks, I believe that we have consensus on this topic even though my
original postings may not have been clear.

The consensus is that we should not attempt to deal with this in the managed
systems at all for all the previously stated reasons.  I agree. If a manager
wants to do something fancy when deleting a policy that is outside the scope
of the current work.

All agreed?

/jon