Re: snmpconf Conflict Resolution Issues

Jon Saperia wrote:

> Here is the second in the group of issues that came out of our interim
> meeting.
>
> As before, I will put in my suggestions/thoughts where I have an opinion.
>
> Conflict Resolution Issues:
>
> 1. How do we deal with intentional and unintended conflicts.
>
> It is hard to tell between intentional and unintended conflicts between
> policies.

Agreed. I don't think it is significant for us to differentiate these.

> My suggestion is that this function be left to the policy
> application function and not the managed element software.

When you say "this function", do you mean the differentiation of
intended vs. unintended,
or the resolution of conflicts?

> 2. Is conflict detection or resolution a goal?
>
> Both are hard. Unless someone has a specific proposal, I suggest that we
> omit this capability or recommend that it be left to the ingenuity of the
> equipment or manager software developers.

I think it needs to be a goal to detect conflict and we should decide
how it should be handled.
Conflict may result from situational factors. Trying to write conditions
to consider every possible factor would make rules difficult to
understand.

If we leave resolution to the administrator, we need to provide a
mechanism for the administrator to tell the policy application function
that "here is how I want this conflict handled" without forcing the
administrator to go rewrite the policies involved right then and there,
and to ensure that the conflict is re-reported on the next evaluation.

The same conflict may arise multiple times. We should allow the
administrator to define a "policy" to indicate how to resolve such
conflicts in the future. This may be able to be done using a MIB to
drive the conflict resolution (rule 4 overrides rule 3 when conflicts
arise).

Thanks for getting these discussion points out to the list.

dbh
--
---
David Harrington            Network Management Architect Engineer