Re: snmpconf General Functional Questions

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Jon Saperia wrote:

> Perhaps I am being dense about this point because I do not understand why
> this is true. We know exactly what instances are in a policy because we
> evaluated the role table and it was based on the result of the evaluation
> that we knew which instances the policy was applied to.  Additionally when
> we made the atomic change either via cli or and non-policy enabled SNMP
> system, the instance that was touched was part of the configuration command.
> What have I missed.

In fact, we can probably store policy affected object identifiers in a
table and then mark them when they are locally modified.  To return that
object to its policy based state, we simply remove the marking.

The questions then become:
*  What happens to marked objects if the policy affecting them is removed?
   Are they removed from the table or do they remain in case the policy
   affecting them is reinstated?  I lean towards the later due to
   time-based policies, if nothing else.
*  Do we want to mark local modifications prior to policies being applied?
   It seems to me that we want to do this as well.

So maybe what we really want is a "Don't touch" table of locally
configured OIDs and the ability to delete OIDs from that table when the
local configuration is no longer relevant?

-Matt
----
Matt White
Ericsson IP Infrastructure