RE: the future of SNMP

HI,

I've been working with a group putting together a new management protocol
focusing first on network configuration. There is a BOF on monday morning
at the IETF, and here is the URL for the agenda... http://www.ietf.org/ietf/03mar/netconf.txt

I'm pretty excited about the approach because it addresses many of
the concerns in message from Juergen and in the one below. And it
addresses other high level issues.

There are several key reasons the "netconf" approach is different.

1) it uses "standard" security mechanisms for authentication, privacy,
   and integrity, leaving authorization to protocol specific mechanisms.
2) it uses the network very efficiently (it's a good citizen)
3) it uses a single transport connection over which multiple
   channels are used for specific purposes. (and note, the security
   mechanisms for authentication, privacy, and integrity are done
   on the transport connection, not on the channels, so security
   set up is done only once)
4) a)there will be a channel for operations, such as GET/SET/etc
     The operations can include a bulking response.
   b)there will be a channel to receive notifications (if permitted)
     that occur while the transport connection is up. (this may
     seem trivial, but it allows a management app independence from
     other mechanisms, and doesn't require modification to notification
     distribution configuration like is currently required with SNMPv3)
   c)if needed, there is a channel to upload or download bulk binary
     data such as executables (again, don't need to use some other
     mechanism such as FTP to perform this operation)
   d)there will be a channel for control so that the status can be
     checked on operations that are taking a long time to be
     performed. These and operations that are sending a
     large response can be aborted.

So, I do hope you will be able to come to the BOF and read the I-D
that has been written. One warning.... the technology that is used
to implement this protocol is based on XML, and the current document
is a little out of balance with its coverage. But, if you tone down
the XML and look at the fundamental differences between this proposal
and other management protocols, I believe you will see that it addresses
the issues which are still with us in existing management protocols.