RE: the future of SNMP

At 2/28/2003:08:59 AM, Glenn Waters wrote:

Hi Glenn,

>> Filtering, selection, etc., can be done in the agent
>> via Set-able MIB objects; most of the schemes proposed for MIB-
>> based out-of-band bulkdata/file transfer would work just fine
>> a practical sense.
>
>I have to disagree with the above statement. In a *practical* sense many of these MIB schemes need special code not only in the agent but also in the manager. New special code needs to be created for each new MIB that gets designed to fix some problem. By adding protocol operations a general solution can be provided that can be implemented just once.

I can't imagine where you got the idea that anyone would
think that more capable MIBs would not entail support in
both agents and management apps.  Ditto for any SNMP
protocol ops changes.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, as they say...it's
all a matter of whether you want to waste your lunch money
on junk food or something with more nutritional value.

Cheers,

BobN